Skip to main content

Silver Jubilee Part Four: New Adventures in Painting


Some time in early 2001 I was talking with a gallery owner in Toronto (whose gallery closed about a year later) about exhibiting some of my watercolours in her gallery. Although she liked my paintings, she asked if I had anything in a larger scale (my largest watercolour was 30" x 22"), maybe something on canvas. At the time I was only painting in watercolours, not having much experience or proficiency in acrylics or oils, so the size of my paintings was limited to the paper available, but she told me of a special kind of gesso that behaves (i.e. is absorbent) like watercolour paper when applied properly to canvas. This excited me since I wanted to paint larger works, so I ordered some and gave it a shot once my expensive order came in more than six weeks later.

I prepped two 36" x 36" canvases and began painting as I normally would with watercolours, by blocking in the shadows with violet. It didn't work and the paint just sat on the surface. I guess I didn't apply it properly and I was frustrated and impatient after waiting so long that I decided to give it up. I didn't want to waste the canvases, though, so I went to the art store and briefly considered getting some acrylics, but I really didn't like the way they dried so quickly, so I got some oil paints instead...and dove in head first.

Below is is one of those first two canvases, and it was with these that I started to rewire my brain so I could paint in this new medium (dark-to-light rather than light-to-dark).

36" x 36", oil on canvas, 2001
private collection

I experimented a bit more, getting a few more canvases to pushing myself into a brand new world (although, one I'd stepped into briefly about a decade earlier). Realizing that I could do certain things with oils that I couldn't with watercolours, I began to get excited at the prospect of adding another medium to my love of painting. 

24" x 36", oil on canvas, 2001
private collection

I presented that gallery owner with those first few paintings and she was impressed and suggested I paint some more pictures focusing less on the human figure and more on interiors like in the piece above. I went to a house a couple of friends lived in and shot a few rolls of film for reference for what would become my Interiors series:

30" x 40", oil on canvas, 2001

30" x 40", oil on canvas, 2001

14" x 18", oil on canvas, 2001

48" x 60", oil on canvas, 2001

Over the years I tried a variety of approaches in oil and in 2007 I adapted several of my earlier watercolours into abstractions for my Echoes series:

15" x 22", watercolour, 1998
private collection

30" x 40", oil on canvas, 2007

15" x 11.5", watercolour, 2002

20" x 16", oil on canvas, 2007

My subject matter started to vary greatly as I became more and more interested in pushing my limits, seeing what I was capable of...

30" x 40", oil on canvas, 2009
private collection

36" x 24", oil on canvas, 2008
private collection

Oiseau 10
20" x 14", oil on canvas, 2008
private collection

The Princess
40" x 30", oil on canvas, 2010
private collection

Full-bodied (b)
14" x 18", oil on canvas, 2010
private collection

36" x 24", oil on canvas, 2010
private collection

In 2010 my wife, Krista (in the painting above), and I had moved to Prince Edward County to start Small Pond Arts and I immediately began to respond to my new rural surroundings with a large number of oil paintings which included landscapes, farms, and local farmers:

24" x 36", oil on canvas, 2010
private collection

36" x 24", oil on canvas, 2011

36" x 24", oil on canvas, 2011
private collection

36" x 24", oil on canvas, 2011
collection of the
County of Prince Edward
Public Library and Archives

16" x 20", oil on canvas, 2012

I decided to celebrate my fortieth birthday by painting a self portrait depicting me as plainly as possible while having a matrix background that refers back to my very first watercolours in 1988:

28" x 22", oil on canvas, 2011

Earlier this year –my 25th Anniversary year– I embarked on a new type of oil painting journey that had me work well outside my comfort zone by painting en plein air (which I practically almost never do, preferring to work indoors from my own photo reference) for over a month for my 33 on 33 project:


Day 33 (of 33)
20" x 20", oil on canvas, 2013
private collection

It was difficult, fun, challenging, rewarding, annoying, exciting, frustrating, hilarious, educational, and more...but, ultimately, I still quite prefer to be a studio painter and my current series, the Tournament of Shadows, is all the better for it:

30" x 36", oil on canvas, 2013

24" x 48", oil on canvas, 2013
private collection

Now, two-and-a-half decades later, I have three main painting media: watercolours, oils, and inks, and I choose the medium best suited to the subject matter I want to paint, so this gives me great versatility in a storytelling sort of way, so to speak...or something.

So in my love of painting I get to play in three beautiful arenas.
And I'm still learning.
Always learning.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co

U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-D (1/1400 scale model)

Seven decades after Kirk. I'd been hooked on Star Trek since I was a wee lad in the 1970s, watching reruns of the original series from the '60s, and I enjoyed the movies that came out afterward. When a new series was announced to debut in 1987, I was excited and interested, even though I felt the subtitle "The Next Generation" was cheesy. Nearly 30 years later, I've definitely gotten used to it (but "TNG" is easier to say and type), but I still find it kinda bland. Anyway, the show had fresh new technology and a spanking new design for its main ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise , NCC-1701-D, now the flagship of the Federation. Andrew Probert 's design took some getting used to for me; it had the same basic elements of the original Enterprise  (saucer, neck, cylinder, and two cylindrical engines on pylons), but the shapes and volumes were distributed differently, weirdly. Everything looked squished and soft. The organic look of this new ship had me