Skip to main content

Silver Angel

When she came upon us, I heard them say,
"From a silver angel, a cloud of grey"
The sky was falling, the future calling
Lady Armageddon's here today

These words are from from Canadian singer-songwriter Gary O's 1984 song Shades of 45, and they've haunted me for decades, as has the whole threat of all-out nuclear war.

I've recently been examining my own relationship with The Bomb and Cold War paranoia/propaganda in the pages of Picton's local comics anthology, Marmalade, entitled Trinity.

While researching and brainstorming ideas for my little photo comic adventure, I made this quick and slightly horrific illustration in Photoshop of a giant skeleton riding the Enola Gay, on her way to drop the Little Boy atomic bomb on Hiroshima:

This is only a test.

Getting back into modeling after a 15-year hiatus, I wondered if I could build a little version of this illustration...then I looked for suitable raw materials...

Parts.

I found a tiny 1/144 scale B-29 bomber (with Enola Gay markings) by Minicraft and a perfectly-scaled skeleton by Anatomical Chart Company (disarmingly named "Petite Pete") and set to work...

Bomber assembly.

This model was pretty low on detail, but that's okay, since I just needed the impression of the plane rather than absolute historical/mechanical accuracy. But still, I didn't like the utter emptiness of the cockpit, since all was provided was a platform (painted black, above) where the pilots would be.

Scratch-built "pilots."

Since the eventual model will be displayed "in flight," mounted on clear plexi rods, I didn't need the landing gear, so I cut 'em up and scratch-built some pilots, which, again, just needed to give the impression of pilots through the not-crystal-clear cockpit window.

Test fit.

The Atomic Death from Above skeleton was positioned astride the plane, but I realized I'd have to chop him up to make him conform to the fuselage the way I wanted him to.

Dismantled.

While I had him taken apart, I figured I'd give him a new paint job (hand-painted with brushes), too, for a little added realism, so he went into the priming area with the plane...

Priming.

My primer of choice was Rustoleum's Sandable Primer; I was working to a deadline and didn't have time to go shopping for something a little better, but it worked well enough for this last-minute project.

Still improvising.

Toothpicks, cardboard, a broom, and a box make painting easy...until my paint stand arrives.

Looks like I'm doing archaeology.

Note the twisted head now facing the desired direction (as per my illustration); luckily, I didn't have to cut it off, the plastic was strong enough that I was able to twist it perfectly into position. BUT also not the heinous seam line across the top of the skull. I tried to get most of the seam lines off the rest of the body, but completely neglected the head. My bad. I filed it a bit before painting and got most of it. Lesson learned: take it slow and pay attention.

Chrome.

I used the same rattle can for the chrome that I used on my jetpack earlier this season. I didn't want to get too finicky with accurate painting for such a quick (and tiny!) project, so chrome all over was just fine. My paint job isn't too great, but it meets my needs.

Astride.

I decided against having the left hand dropping the bomb and opted for an eerie embrace instead. I used wires to keep the figure together and in place (yes, they (unintentionally) look like shackles, so feel free to interpret that however you wish).



Decal or self draw?

I thought I should get some shots of the finished model before biting the bullet and hand drawing the atomic symbol of the skeleton's forehead. I thought I could find a suitable decal, but didn't look hard enough and, like I said, I was pressed for time. So I used a Sharpie...and kind of made a mess of it (see top most image), but it'll do; my next projects aren't time sensitive, so I can take my time to find or make the right parts/details I feel are necessary. 


I did some shots of the Silver Angel against a bright blue sky (desaturated here for fun) for the great lighting the sun provides, cropping my hand out of the photos. The next stage is to mount the thing on clear rods on a little plaque (but there's no rush for that).


That's now two projects completed by the Small Pond Shipyard.
I wonder what's next...



I also did this comic to commemorate the 70th anniversary.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

City of Angels

17" x 11", watercolour and digital, 1999 Ah, City of Angels . I thought I was getting cool film noir but got a cheesy musical instead (Google it if you must). Still, it was fun to make the poster and associated images, mostly because the research consisted of watching real films noir and buying a great book on movie posters of the genre. I made tons of sketches and a few digital mock-ups. For the final poster above, I made three separate watercolour paintings (one of the couple and one each of the two black and white heads) and composited them in Photoshop, where I also added the text. In true movie poster fashion, I wanted the actors names to be the top two names, but I lost that battle and had to use the characters' names instead. It looks fine, but it implies that "Kingsley and Stone" are the lead actors in the show. Oh, well...it's only community theatre... By making the "angel" above half black and white and half colour, th

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co