Skip to main content

Famous Last Words

30" x 40", oil on canvas, 2007

It's been said that even abstract paintings tell a story --not from the imagery itself, since it's non-figurative and non-narrative by nature, but from the viewer's knowledge of the artist. The story of the artist becomes the story of the painting.
That said, I'll reveal to you the history of these Echoes and you can piece together a story from that.

They began, like most of my paintings, as ideas of what I'd like to see paintings of. This early stage consists of a lot of sketching...and getting ispiration from watching movies, looking through art books and magazines, and listening to a lot of music. Hard work.

The paintings the Echoes are based on are figurative and the next stage for that kind of picture is finding a model. Usually, I wait until I've gathered about a dozen or so sketches of poses I'd like to paint (and there's always room for improv) before looking for somebody. This approach is why you'll see a run of paintings with the same model as I exhaust the usable photos). My models have always been friends or co-workers --people who don't model for a living. Once this non-model agrees to be in some paintings they must bear with me as I pose them according to my sketches and fiddle endlessly with my makeshift lighting system. I've been taking pictures as long as I've been painting and I prefer to shoot my own photo reference whenever I can. Since my models are non-models they don't have to sit for hours, day after day, while I perfect a painting; I set up my lights, they pose, I click the cable release (I use long exposures and an old Minolta SLR film camera when shooting indoors to control the lighting), and about two hours later they're done and free to go.

After the photos are developed (the 1-hour service is just fine, thanks) I do more sketching to get used to the model and work out a tighter composition (than my earlier sketches) and decide what colours to use (if the BG will be abstract, otherwise I'll find or shoot more pictures to make a "scene").

Then I paint the picture. Working from photos enables me to paint whenever I want, which usually means deep, deep into the night while the model is off at their home sleeping.

Then that painting gets photographed for documentation and website shenanigans. Sometimes with my little digital camera, sometimes on film but, either way, they all end up in my computer.

For the Echoes I strategically manipulated the paintings in Photoshop to get a look similar to my abstract stained glass designs I use in a lot of my paintings (going back to my very first watercolour paintings in 1988). I think of it as keeping the DNA of the originals.
Or something.

As all this abstractificationizing was done in the computer, I had to get the new images out of it to use as photo ref...so it was back to the 1-hour place for handy prints.

Then I painted the pictures...and somewhere along the line I came up with some nifty titles (in this case, common idioms).

Of course, I then had to photograph these guys so they could go into the computer...and so you could see them here.

That's the story of the Echoes.

This is my abstract version of my original watercolour painting wall.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co

U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-D (1/1400 scale model)

Seven decades after Kirk. I'd been hooked on Star Trek since I was a wee lad in the 1970s, watching reruns of the original series from the '60s, and I enjoyed the movies that came out afterward. When a new series was announced to debut in 1987, I was excited and interested, even though I felt the subtitle "The Next Generation" was cheesy. Nearly 30 years later, I've definitely gotten used to it (but "TNG" is easier to say and type), but I still find it kinda bland. Anyway, the show had fresh new technology and a spanking new design for its main ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise , NCC-1701-D, now the flagship of the Federation. Andrew Probert 's design took some getting used to for me; it had the same basic elements of the original Enterprise  (saucer, neck, cylinder, and two cylindrical engines on pylons), but the shapes and volumes were distributed differently, weirdly. Everything looked squished and soft. The organic look of this new ship had me