01 March 2009

Ashley Reading

22" x 30", watercolour, 2008, private collection

This was done specifically to mark and celebrate my 20 years of painting in watercolour (since 1988, beginning here), as slyly noted by the "20" I included on the back cover of the book Ashley is reading (The Illustrated Kama Sutra, if I remember correctly). I really wanted it to be special, so I used a full sheet of watercolour paper and gave it my best shot.

In March 2009 this was in a show at the Runnymede Library in Toronto, and then in 2010 it was in the Art in the County show in Picton, during which it received a juror's Honourable Mention Award as well as the People's Choice Award. It subsequently sold during that show.

Alternate sketch.

I tried a few different poses with Ashley reading on the couch, and the above sketch is from a photo I very nearly used for the final painting. I still may use it someday...



No comments: