Skip to main content

Breakfast at Macaulay's

approx. 28" x 77", oil on wooden door, 2013, private collection

Near the end of January this year Krista and I visited Macaulay House in Picton to meet with Jennifer Lyons and discuss how Small Pond Arts could get involved with the local museums of PEC. We were given a tour and became excited about the potential ways we could involve our art there. Krista devised a lantern-making project with a few local artists which turned out very well, indeed. These lanterns were to be unveiled during Doors Open PEC in April.


Additionally, the museums were having local artists decorate actual doors for the event which they would then auction off, the proceeds going to the museums. That's all I needed to hear, so I asked if I could get a door to decorate, and, on February 25 I brought home this lovely (and extremely heavy) door: 

Heavy!

Sanded!

Obviously, the door would need to be prepared, so Krista and I each had a go at sanding it down so it could be primed with gesso.

Primed!

The first easel I put the door on complained about the weight by almost collapsing, and threatened to splinter if I tried that again, so I used an older, stronger easel and everyone was happy and stable. Two coats of gesso later and I was ready to pencil the images.

The idea of decorating a door sounded fun to me, and I knew from the start that I would be painting some kind of representational image, possibly true-to-period (mid-1800s), and possibly involving another photo I took of Ashley in the top she's wearing in Embroidering the Truth. Realizing that the doors would be displayed at their assigned museum locations for the final portion of the silent auction, I decided to make my door about Macaulay House.

So, in February, while waiting for my door, I did some intensive online research and, after wading through tons of images of Macaulay Culkin, I came across a photo taken by local photographer Peggy DeWitt (who shot Small Pond for the summer 2011 edition of County Magazine). The two ladies setting the table for breakfast was a scene that suited not only my tastes but my intent for the door. There was no way I could stage a scene like that and photograph it in time, so I asked Peggy If I might use her photo as reference for my painting. She happily agreed and I started working on it...but the door was extra long and I needed to fill some space. Rather than painting a flat colour or making up some other kind of filler, I decided to go back to Macaulay House and photograph the house itself.

Pencilled!

I added my usual orange acrylic ground to lock in the graphite pencil drawing and provide some warmth to the gaps and/or where the oil paint is applied thinly.

By the way, my exclusive soundtrack for this project was the two Tin Machine albums: first Tin Machine (1989) for the ladies, then Tin Machine II (1991) for the house itself.

Breakfast!

Above is a close-up of the ladies and below is the room depicted in the painting and where I was situated during the Doors Open event. I was asked to bring a couple of other paintings to display so I brought Blue, White, and Red and Embroidering the Truth (you can see part of it in the last photo below). After spending a week (from March 11–16) painting the door, it was surreal to be in the room –kind of like I'd walked into my painting.

Room!

I brought a sketchbook and doodled all day, talking to curious visitors and imparting historical information about the house I overheard the guides tell others. Towards the end of the day, the silent auction got competitive, pitting the Friends of Macaulay in a bidding war with Sheila Hobson, née Bond. And that's when it got really interesting...

After Reverend William Macaulay's family, the Bonds lived in the house for decades until the 1970s when it was turned into a museum. Having the Macaulay history proper (represented by the FoM) and a former Bond girl in a bidding war for my painting was pretty exciting, and I was secretly pulling for Sheila to win because she had a personal and emotional attachment to the house –and the museums could use the money from the auction.

The bidding was to end at 4pm and the last half hour was quite tense...

Sheila Hobson with my heaviest painting ever.

In the end, the Friends of Macaulay couldn't outbid Sheila and I found her happy and emotional response to winning the auction very heartwarming, and I really like the idea of her handing down the painting to the next generation, keeping a bit of the history of Macaulay house alive through my artwork. I really do think my painting ended up with the best possible person.

A few words from Sheila:

"My grandparents had fifteen kids. When my grandfather purchased the home a few had already grown up and left, but the ones that lived there were all in their teen years. My aunt, the only one still alive, lives in Cobourg and always wants to hear of news from her old homestead. She is an amazing woman and we visit her often to hear about the old days."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

City of Angels

17" x 11", watercolour and digital, 1999 Ah, City of Angels . I thought I was getting cool film noir but got a cheesy musical instead (Google it if you must). Still, it was fun to make the poster and associated images, mostly because the research consisted of watching real films noir and buying a great book on movie posters of the genre. I made tons of sketches and a few digital mock-ups. For the final poster above, I made three separate watercolour paintings (one of the couple and one each of the two black and white heads) and composited them in Photoshop, where I also added the text. In true movie poster fashion, I wanted the actors names to be the top two names, but I lost that battle and had to use the characters' names instead. It looks fine, but it implies that "Kingsley and Stone" are the lead actors in the show. Oh, well...it's only community theatre... By making the "angel" above half black and white and half colour, th

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co