Skip to main content

33 on 33: Day Twenty-eight

I've been leaving on my things
So in the morning when the morning bird sings
There's still dinner on my dinner jacket
'Til the dinner bell rings

–TMBG, "Dinner Bell"

Yesterday I talked about how it might be forgivable for a big corporate business to move into a historic building if it meant the building would remain intact and its architecture preserved (for example: a Starbucks moving into the Brick Church on Main Street Picton would have been more preferable to having the church torn down). But would it be forgivable if this kind of thing went unchecked?

Development overload.

Good thing the nightmare scenario in the image above hasn't happened...yet. I created this Photoshopped image the summer they tore down the church as a sort of cautionary tale of rampant development and history lost.

It's also almost the exact angle I used for today's 33 on 33 stop on Main Street Picton (here's my Map of Progress). What I turned into a Starbucks is actually The Bean Counter Café on the near end and Buddha Dog on the other.

Buddha Dog.

Opposite angle of the old granary building (go ahead and try Google; I couldn't find anything useful) showing Buddha Dog –where the ingredients are local, and the dogs tasty. Get a "flight" and enjoy!

Also, using only their well-designed word-free logo for their shop sign is very cool in its minimalist approach.

Classy.

Well-kept and beautiful: I have a soft spot for these kinds of interesting architectural details on what are otherwise basic uninteresting boxes. Tasty like a Buddha Dog.

Angles and colours.

Again, basic boxes accented with great details...here with bonus angles and lovely colour choices to boot!


Guaranteed to make the cut, Kelly Roblin has tons of interesting stuff available in her colourful and inviting shop, notably the artwork of amazing local artist Niall Eccles.

Best pizza around.

Unassumingly located between a laundromat and (maybe) the last video store in the world, Prince Edward Pizza makes the best (commercial) pizzas I've had in PEC (the Small Pond cob oven makes great ones, too!). Their crust has a great texture I've never experienced before and Clinton Hele is a master with topping combinations.

That clock tower in the background is part of the Picton United Church, whose bell rings every hour...whether you like it or not.

The Grill.

This is the opposite view of the grey "Wendy's" building in the very first pic. The top two floors are residential and the awnings on the main floor belong to The Acoustic Grill, where their frequent sandwich board motto is "great tunes, cold beer, bad coffee." Their burgers made with local ingredients are fantastic.

On the last Wednesday of each month you can find a bunch of us gathered around some tables in the back for the Monthly Prince Edward County Comix Jam, where we collaboratively draw comics, drink beer, and catch up with each other in a wonderfully laid back atmostphere. Join us! Did I mention The Grill's burgers are fantastic?

The Painted Peppercorn.

Visible and left alone in the top Photoshopped image, The Painted Peppercorn is a cozy place which also has good food and a nice atmosphere.


Penny Morris is great and has all kinds of interesting bulk food items for seemingly every dietary requirement. I think this and the The County Farm Centre are the only bulk food shops in all of PEC (but I could be wrong).

Looking east.

This is only about a block west from the photo below, near Prince Edward Pizza (you can even see my van behind the pickup parked on the street), showing that all the businesses listed above are within a short walk from each other.


Still looking east.

There's my trusty blue van in the far left. My painting spot today was on the sidewalk, beside the planter box on the right. That weird little infothing towering between the boxes used to have a great map of Picton illustrated by Niall Eccles, but it was replaced with a more corporate-looking and less fun one.


And here's the painting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co

U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-D (1/1400 scale model)

Seven decades after Kirk. I'd been hooked on Star Trek since I was a wee lad in the 1970s, watching reruns of the original series from the '60s, and I enjoyed the movies that came out afterward. When a new series was announced to debut in 1987, I was excited and interested, even though I felt the subtitle "The Next Generation" was cheesy. Nearly 30 years later, I've definitely gotten used to it (but "TNG" is easier to say and type), but I still find it kinda bland. Anyway, the show had fresh new technology and a spanking new design for its main ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise , NCC-1701-D, now the flagship of the Federation. Andrew Probert 's design took some getting used to for me; it had the same basic elements of the original Enterprise  (saucer, neck, cylinder, and two cylindrical engines on pylons), but the shapes and volumes were distributed differently, weirdly. Everything looked squished and soft. The organic look of this new ship had me