Skip to main content

Painting at Macaulay Heritage Park

Welcome!

This week I worked on prepping a few canvases for my big World War One project in the church at Macaulay Heritage Park in Picton, Prince Edward County. I had planned to take the last of my nine Dance Partners (currently half finished), but I brought that with me on my second session there.

Backside.

Since my painting/drawing sessions at Macaulay (and the exhibition of all 100 paintings in November) were at the church, this post focuses on that building and the immediate grounds, rather than the rest of the heritage park (click the link below the pic below!).


Graves!

The homes across the street and modern cars in this shot are a great contrast to what could easily be very old graves* somewhere in Europe.

More graves.

Tablets!

Stained.

I find it fascinating to note that so many "charitable donations" are made where credit to the donor is loud and clear. The writing at the bottom of each window (not legible in this photo) lists the people who made this window possible. Now, I'm not religious, but this kind of "announced generosity" seems contrary to this passage from the bible:

Matthew 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." 

It reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where that dude from the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword is challenging Indy about his motivations for looking for the Holy Grail and asks "Is it for His glory, or for yours?"**

Shiny.

There used to be a Bata shoe factory here in Picton, and the current shoe exhibit at Macaulay not only pays tribute to those long-gone days, but served as inspiration for the first "phase" of my War project, Dance Partners.

My favourite items in the exhibit.

These boots are from an era when seeing a woman's flesh would somehow freak people out; the reason they're so high is so that when a woman's already long and concealing skirts/dresses rose up oh-so-slightly, her ankles would remain hidden by the boots.

Moccasin-making tools.

Many kinds of shoes are represented here, including moccasins, but we all know what they look like, so here's a shot of the fascinating native tools for making them.

Also, snow shoes.

Also, this dress.

My set-up.

The day was rainy, but the big churchy windows provided ample light for me to work on those five canvases, and I'll set up there again today to actually paint that last shoe (amongst the shoes).

Bonus room.

If you can identify where this room is in the church, you get 10 points***.






*still, they are very old graves, nonetheless

**not that I care; it's just fascinating to note

***points are symbolic only and are not redeemable for cash





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

City of Angels

17" x 11", watercolour and digital, 1999 Ah, City of Angels . I thought I was getting cool film noir but got a cheesy musical instead (Google it if you must). Still, it was fun to make the poster and associated images, mostly because the research consisted of watching real films noir and buying a great book on movie posters of the genre. I made tons of sketches and a few digital mock-ups. For the final poster above, I made three separate watercolour paintings (one of the couple and one each of the two black and white heads) and composited them in Photoshop, where I also added the text. In true movie poster fashion, I wanted the actors names to be the top two names, but I lost that battle and had to use the characters' names instead. It looks fine, but it implies that "Kingsley and Stone" are the lead actors in the show. Oh, well...it's only community theatre... By making the "angel" above half black and white and half colour, th

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co