Skip to main content

A-Wing Fighter (1/48 scale model)


I mention in this post how I was fascinated with models since I was a very young boy in the mid-'70s, but I didn't get around to actually building any until the '90s. This A-Wing wasn't the first model I ever built, but it's the only early one (circa late 1993) that I've photographed, so far. 


They're fairly easy to miss in Return of the Jedi, but I collected the trading cards and magazines so I was keenly aware of this new and interesting ship (the new B-Wing was okay, but I preferred the compact, yet sporty, look of this one). In 1993 I was playing the X-Wing video game where you can fly and X-Wing, Y-Wing, and an A-Wing, and while I very much liked the other two ships (I just finished building a 1/72 scale Y-Wing, in fact), I was impressed with the speed and agility of the mighty A-Wing


One night I was out with friends and we stepped into a hobby shop and, as soon as I saw this MPC kit I knew I had to build one, so I bought it then and there (for maybe about $15, IIRC).

(no, I didn't keep the box)

Although I had built an Enterprise refit in 1991 and some other Star Trek ships afterward (I don't remember the timeline or order of most of those other builds) my modeling and painting skills still had a long way to go. Studying this A-Wing before shooting it I noticed all kinds of things I'd be more careful with today, like filling seamlines and gaps, trimming the flash better, and doing a better paint job.


I painted the red, grey, and damaged areas with a brush using acrylics (I mixed that red myself!) and the hull is just the bare plastic of the model kit.


It's a simple enough model and I might try another one down the road using the skills and knowledge I've gained over the years (although the kit will likely cost me twice as much as I paid 23 years ago!). It'd be great if Bandai would make one in 1/72 scale to match my Y-Wing.



UPDATE!

Bandai has, indeed, released an amazing new model kit of the A-wing and I bought two of them because I was so excited. I have an idea brewing about what to do with the second one, but you can read THIS POST to check out what I did with the first kit.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Foley's Chevy Nova (1/25 scale model)

Multiple tributes, here. I remember first seeing  Beverly Hills Cop  on video at my friend Chris K's house, 'cause his family had a VCR and we'd watch tons of movies (and record music videos) together. The summer of 1984 was a special time for us (having created a strong bond in school since Grade 6 a few years before), going on biking adventures around the 'burbs and into the city, etc., and home video played an important role from then until I moved to the opposite end of Scarborough just before we started high school. We liked the movie a lot, both of us fans of Eddie Murphy from his  Saturday Night Live  days. I don't think I'd seen the movie since then (it would have been 1985, probably summer, since the movie came out in late 1984) and I became curious to see if it still held up. It did. It does. I found Murphy as charming as ever and the comedy (and even the action) holds up very well and its very re-watchable and very entertaining.  Beverly Hi

Small Pond Arts Puppet Wagon (1/24 scale model)

I dreamed up the Small Pond Shipyard for my fanciful scratch-built sci-fi airship creations (which still only exist in sketch/Photoshop mock-up form (and boxes in my closet) for now), but more and more ideas kept coming ( this wind turbine , for example, will be part of a rather elaborate diorama I'll be working on this winter). But the Puppet Wagon was a sleeper surprise, to be sure. [Really, though, I don't know why I was so eager to build this right away since I was planning to slowly develop my modelling skills with simpler builds first and the work my way up to more complicated projects.] Not all parts were used/needed. Most of these ideas have come from watching modelling videos online, and when I saw a review of this sweet little Japanese "Ramen Shop" food truck by Aoshima (right-side drive!), my brain started making jokes about customizing it to the weird food truck ideas I'd been posting on Facebook. But the more I thought about what the co

U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701-D (1/1400 scale model)

Seven decades after Kirk. I'd been hooked on Star Trek since I was a wee lad in the 1970s, watching reruns of the original series from the '60s, and I enjoyed the movies that came out afterward. When a new series was announced to debut in 1987, I was excited and interested, even though I felt the subtitle "The Next Generation" was cheesy. Nearly 30 years later, I've definitely gotten used to it (but "TNG" is easier to say and type), but I still find it kinda bland. Anyway, the show had fresh new technology and a spanking new design for its main ship, the U.S.S. Enterprise , NCC-1701-D, now the flagship of the Federation. Andrew Probert 's design took some getting used to for me; it had the same basic elements of the original Enterprise  (saucer, neck, cylinder, and two cylindrical engines on pylons), but the shapes and volumes were distributed differently, weirdly. Everything looked squished and soft. The organic look of this new ship had me